Coronavirus (Covid-19) - updated 24th March
To keep our staff, volunteers and customers safe and healthy we’ve taken the decision to close our physical sites in Devon from the end of Friday 20th March, and suspend our public events.
Following the Prime Minister’s speech on Monday 23rd March, our library staff will be home working. Our library service will continue and our staff will promote and support our digital library, create new online content and we will provide the important service of keeping in contact with our library customers.
We will suspend our Devon mobile library service in line with our physical building closures. Our Home Library Service will be suspended from the end of Thursday 19th March and during this service closure we are encouraging our volunteers to phone our readers regularly to have a social chat and to check in.
Over the coming weeks we will continue to offer as many online services as we possibly can so that our libraries remain open to everyone, wherever you are in Devon. We will be working hard to maintain this access during these unprecedented times and will be developing new offerings to help support our local communities.
You can continue to view and explore our catalogues and resources online. We have eBooks, audiobooks, eMagazines that you can access for free using your library card and we have plenty on offer particularly if you are needing to keep busy at this time.
If you were planning to attend an upcoming event we’ll be in touch to let you know if and when these will be rescheduled or to arrange a refund. Please bear with us while we make these arrangements.
You can review loans online and renew your books via this website. If you do not have online access you can renew your books by phoning 0345 155 1001.
In the meantime, we will keep you posted on any changes and let you know as soon as our buildings can reopen and our mobile libraries service and home library service resume.
Coronavirus - Library Service FAQs
Renewals, reservations and charges
- All overdue charges incurred from Friday 20th March onwards have been suspended.
- We are in the process of renewing all customer issues so that no item will need to be returned before 17th June 2020.
- Please can we request that library customers hold onto books, CDs and DVDs and return them when we re-open. As mentioned above, there will be no fines and we will keep renewing issues until further notice.
- You will be able to view your new return date online by signing into your library account and proceeding to "My loans".
- If you have forgotten your PIN please click the 'Forgot PIN' option to get a PIN reset sent to your registered email address.
- During this time, online reservations will be unavailable. If you have already placed an online reservation, please note this will not be satisfied until 17th June 2020 at the earliest due to the system closure.
- If you need assistance please email your local library stating your name and library card number.
- Please ignore any automated email messages you receive regarding renewing your items. We are working on the system to stop these messages during our closure period.
Download and stream free eBooks, eAudioBooks and eMagazines.
- We have added 3,500 titles to Overdrive (eBooks and eAudiobooks)
- We now have 1,000 unlimited use eAudiobooks through RB Digital
- A selection of eMagazines are available on RB Digital
- Access eAudiobooks via BorrowBox
- Access the ‘Reading Well’ collections on our digital platform
- Online Reference resources
- Our libraries are creating fun online content and live streaming events. Check out individual library Facebook pages for more information.
Join the Digital Library
You can join the library by visiting this page. Once you have completed the online joining form, you will be given a temporary [UNREG] number which will enable you to access our digital library immediately. As and when our libraries re-open we will process all temporary memberships registered during this closure period and we will issue a library card to you.
- Via this website
- General telephone enquiries 0345 155 1001
- Contact your local library by email for assistance with renewals or any other enquiries.
- Please bear with us, at this time, as we are receiving an increased number of enquiries
- We can also answer general enquiries and/or forward on general enquiries to the relevant member of the team from our info@ inbox. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org Please note that we aim to respond to all enquiries within 5 working days, but due to the current high level of enquiries and fast-moving national picture, we cannot guarantee this.
Vulnerable and older customers
We provide invaluable social contact for many of our older and more vulnerable customers. Many of our Home Library Service volunteers are remaining in touch with customers. We are also looking at ways we can remain in contact and provide some form of service during our library buildings closure.
Information and advice
Reliable and up to date information about the coronavirus situation is available from: