Friends Groups work closely with Library Supervisors and Libraries Unlimited, the charity that runs Devon and Torbay Libraries, to ensure communities benefit from high quality library services.
Anyone that is a member of Devon or Torbay Libraries can sign up to a local Friends Group and take part in activities to:
- Actively promote their local library and the services, events and activities it offers
- Help to raise money for their local library
- Hold events and activities for people of all ages
- Represent views of its members, when necessary, on relevant issues in relation to their local library
- Enhance their local library by providing practical assistance
- Develop ways of encouraging wider use and membership of their local library
Using the Guidance Framework for Friends, and working with the vision, values and purposes of their local library and Libraries Unlimited, Friends Groups are an integral part of our organisation.
If you are interested in joining a local Friends’ Group or would like to discuss the possibility of starting one locally, please visit your local library and talk to the Library Supervisor. Please read the Guidance for Setting up a Friends Group information here.
Membership of Libraries Unlimited
Libraries Unlimited is an independent staff and community owned social enterprise and charity, established in April 2016 with the support of Devon County Council.
Membership of Libraries Unlimited gives Friends Groups an opportunity to influence how their local library and the organisation is run. All Friends Groups are entitled to be members of Libraries Unlimited. As members, they may nominate one of their members to stand for election as a Community Trustee on the Libraries Unlimited Board. They also have one vote in the election of a Community Trustee and may send a representative, with voting rights, to General Meetings.